Google+ seems to have been a bit hit or miss in terms of popularity and utilisation by businesses but those that are not using it could be missing out. If you have never explored Google+, it is used in much the same way as Facebook and Twitter but has been designed with business use in mind, in a similar way to LinkedIn.
Google+ is a social network where your business can gain likes, or +1’s as they are called, and people can keep up to date with developments in your business or industry. You may not see that it’s necessary to use it if you already have Facebook or Twitter accounts, it’s just another social media channel to manage, but Google+ is one of the best tools to use when you’re promoting your business and its user base is continuing to grow daily.
Google+ and Google search results
As a business owner, one of your many goals must be to rank highly on Google searches. When you use Google+ as a way of advertising your business, the posts that you share are indexed in Google’s search engine. Therefore, when someone searches for your type of business in your particular area, it’s likely that your posts will show up if they’re relevant.
So, how do you use Google+ to make sure you rank above your competitors?
- Don’t just think about it – It may sound obvious but the first and most vital part to using Google+ is to create a profile for yourself and a page for your business. Make sure you utilise all that Google+ can offer, rather than just adding it to the To Do list and then forgetting about it.
- Generate buzz – Just as you would on a Facebook page, your Google+ page needs to be shared. This means asking your existing circle of friends and colleagues to share posts, encourage others to follow, and engage with what’s happening on the page.
- Post interesting content – One of the key benefits of using Google+ is the fact that the content that you post will be indexed in Google’s search results and will link back to your company. Make sure that you post articles, blogs, and opinions to boost your online presence.
- Google authorship – Google+ can really help you to position yourself and your employees as thought leaders. Linking any articles you write to your Google+ personal profile will get you in the search results and get the content that you’ve posted noticed.
- Use what you’ve already built – If you already have Facebook or Twitter accounts, it’s a good idea to use those to tell people that you’re now present on Google+. You may find that some of the people following you use Google+ more often than other social networks.
- Learn about your audience – Using a different platform can have all kinds of different advantages. The main one is that you can learn about customers and potential customers; what posts they like, what information they value, and what products they’ll buy.
- Really stand out – When you’re up and running, try using Google+ Hangouts. These are a great way of starting up conversations with your audience and making a name for yourself within your local community.
The most important thing that Google+ can do for you is give you credibility. Without that, you won’t stand a chance of ranking on any kind of search engine, never mind the world’s most used one. It’s a way of showing people that you’re out there; reaching people you would never normally reach through traditional advertising. With 540 million active users, why would you want to miss out? This social network will only become bigger and better over the years, so start building your presence now.
If you would like to add social media channels such as Google+ to your marketing strategy but don’t know where to start, it might be time to speak to the experts. Contact the team at Ketchup Marketing today on 0330 088 9277 or complete our online enquiry form.