A-Z of Marketing: Keywords for Marketing
You could have the most amazing business web design, with content that will hook your customers for life but if no-one can find it, it’s completely useless. That’s where keywords come in. Although they are not the be all and end all of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), keywords are a vital part of increasing visibility. In their most basic form, keywords will enable new and existing customers to find you by increasing the chances of your website ranking highly when someone uses a search engine to look for your type of business. Here are some things you need to know about using keywords.
- How to choose the right keywords – Choosing the keywords for your website has a big impact on its success. The right keywords will always relate to your business, what it offers, and the things you want your customers to know about your products. Do your research thoroughly to make sure you make the right organic keyword selections and it’s a good idea to work with an SEO agency that can provide you with guidance and supporting services. Try to think about things from your customers point of view, what words and phrases would they use to search for your business?
- Use long-tail keywords – Long-tail keywords are phrases rather than single words and they are well worth exploring as part of your SEO. If you can imagine searching for something yourself using Google, it’s likely that you’ll type in a few words rather than just one isn’t it? That means that long-tail keywords are more likely to match up to what someone is typing in a search engine. They will generate more traffic and therefore, more revenue. Long tail keywords are also less competitive if you decided to implement Pay Per Click (PPC) advertising.
- Google Adwords advertising – PPC advertising from Google is a great way of targeting your desired audience. When someone uses Google to search for the products or services that you offer, your PPC Ad will appear at the top and down the right hand side of the presented search results. The great thing about PPC is that you only pay if people click on your advert and if you’ve got your keywords and your targeting right then the right people will click through to your website.
- Keep it fresh – If you built your website ten years ago and it still looks exactly same, with no fresh content or keywords, you aren’t going to get very far with it. Keep your competitors, company changes, and marketplace developments in mind when reviewing your keywords and key-phrases to ensure that you are still attracting your ideal customers.
- Try out tools – Using different tools such as Wordtracker or Google’s own keyword planner could give you a better insight into what words and phrases are popular for your type of industry. These tools are free to use and it may just find you suggested keywords that you haven’t thought of.
The world of SEO is constantly changing so it’s important to stay updated on what’s new and what you can be doing to stay ahead of the game. If you’re not informed on how to better your business through the use of keywords, you can bet that your competitors are. With this in mind, it’s always a good idea to get valuable and professional advice from an SEO expert who can share the latest developments with you so you never have to fall behind and find yourself wondering why others are getting all of your business.
For help with your keywords, SEO, and PPC why not speak to the experts. Contact the team at Ketchup to discuss your requirements in more detail on 0330 088 9277, alternatively, complete our online enquiry form.